There have been much higher tides. One of the sea walls near my house
records several floods in the last century which would have been up to
my shoulders. This all used to be marshland.

I looked up the sea-level changes in a book that was to hand - Out of
Eden, by Stephen Oppenheimer. I quote "measurements made on the
Greenland ice cap show that the second coldest time of the last
100,000 years was between 60,000 and 80,000 years ago. At its coldest,
70,000 years ago, this glaciation took the world's sea levels 80
metres (260 feet) below today's levels."

During that time Europe has been joined to and separated from Britain
several times by the rising and falling waters of the North Sea. It is
their present misfortune to live in an interglacial.

--
 Bob