Thu Oct 4 13:50:16 EDT 2007
Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> On Oct 4, 2007, at 10:23 AM, Ralf R. Radermacher wrote:
>
> > Some more night-time industry shots:
> >
> > http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/mypics/770012/display/10368727
> >
> > ...and...
> >
> >  http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/mypics/770012/display/10440633
>
> I particularly like the second ... that glowing plume is wonderful
> with all the glow from the structures and reflection.

My first impression was that I liked 10368727 better.
It has some crispness in every detail and reflection.

After looking at the second longer, I realized that I also
like the glowing aura. That and a bit less sharp edges of the structures
make it looking more like a painting.
However, something prevents it from working for me to the full extent.
I am not sure what that is: colors, framing, or something else.

Regarding the framing, -
I suspect that the steam-pipe appearing in a weak zone of the photo
(i.e. not the center, not in any of the 2/3rd, etc.) is responsible
for that impression.
I wonder if cropping the photo vertically on the left
along the first step of the roof would change this impression.

Another (alternative) change that may also work for me is to crop it
horizontally from the top about 1/10th of the height (so it is still not
symmetrical vertically).

As for the first shot, - it looks like there is a tiny CCW tilt.
... and it does not seem as just the effect of the barge. I see it
e.g. in the vertical line going connecting the right edge of the "arcelor"
builging with its reflection.

HTH,

Igor