[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Of course Meigs was super dangerous. I think the accident rate was double the
> norm due to short runways and high winds. And it was a security nightmare.
> Paul

National is maybe even worse as far as security is concerned...  Add in
the short runways and stupidly dangerous approach heading South and
stupidly complicated takeoff heading North...  plus noise complaints...
but there is no way in hell Congress would ever allow it to be closed. :-)

My dad's cousin was an American Airlines pilot for 30 years.  His
version at landing at DCA: "Head for the Potomac, close your eyes and
pray."

A ex naval aviator (now airline pilot) interviewed for a Washington Post
article said he'd rather land on a carrier... at night... in bad
weather...  than at National.

--

Christian
http://photography.skofteland.net