I would suggest the setup and work flow I use.

I carry a battery in the camera (The Pentax original) and a battery in the
battery grip.

I set 'Select battery' in Set-up menu 3/3 to 'Grip First'.

In usage this means that the body battery is ignored and the grip battery
supplies the system.

One would have hoped that there would have been an automatic changeover to
the body battery when the grip battery is exhausted - sadly, this is not so!

But - you can quickly resume shooting on the Body battery by simply turning
the camera OFF and then immediately ON. This takes only a moment. Then you
can change the Grip battery at a convenient moment. When you do this, the
body battery shuts down and the grip battery again becomes the primary
source.

The beauty of this setup is that you never have an unexpected delay longer
than the time it takes to flick the camera switch to OFF then back to ON
after waking up to why your camera just stopped <GRIN>

I usually top up the Body battery when I think of it and when I expect to be
using more than one fully charged battery as I invariably recharge the Grip
battery after taking any images during a day so the body battery is pretty
rarely used.

Hope this is of interest - Rod