Stan Halpin writes:

> When looking at a 645 transparency on a light table or on the wall, the
> color and detail just reach out and grab you. If only I could find a medium
> format scanner for a reasonable price . . . (i.e., under $200 <BG>)

 I think the cheapest MF-capable slide scanner is the Agfa Duoscan T1200.
But for a couple of dozen dollars extra you can get their Arcus 1200 which is
far superior as you don't have to sandwich your slides between glass plates
(causing horrible Newton rings).

 It could use more resolution and better sharpness though.  I wouldn't consider
it good enough for serious printing but for web backgrounds and windows
wallpaper its just great.

 I think the Arcus 1200 was about US$700 when I looked (or was that $799).
Mine cost about NZ$1800.

 The other approach is a digital camera with a good macro lens over the light
box.

Cheers,

- Dave

David A. Mann, B.E. (Elec)
http://www.digistar.com/~dmann/

"Why is it that if an adult behaves like a child they lock him up,
 while children are allowed to run free on the streets?" -- Garfield