Since we've been tossing around the Wal-Mart name a bit, and since I've
been doing some scanning recently, this has been on my mind and I
thought I'd share (with the other 2 of you who are still shooting film).

When I was working in Hagerstown, MD I brought my E-6 to a little
independent shop called FirstLook Photo.  They had a 2 hour slide
service than ran about $8.  Drop off before my shift, pick up during
lunch.  It was wonderful and well worth the price.  The finished product
was mounted in plastic and filed in archival pages punched for 3-ring
binders.  They also still did B&W in house.  Not having the volume to
process it every day, the store owner would do it himself once per week.
  I think he just liked black and white processing and wasn't too
terribly interested in making money from it.

After moving north a bit, FirstLook became inconvenient.  So I started
looking around for another E-6 processor.  I tried three different small
shops.  None of them did it on site, turn around was at least a week,
and the end result was variable.  Prices ranged from $8 to $12 per roll.
  So I decided to try Wal-Mart.  In case you don't know, Wal-Mart sends
everything that's not 1-hour C-41 to Fuji.  As I have had good luck with
Fuji's processing in the past, via mailers, I put a few rolls in
Wal-Mart's send-out bin.  Success!  About a week, quality was
consistent, and the price tag was $4.88.  Turns out, sometime between a
year ago and now, Fuji closed their E-6 facility and contracted with
Dwayne's.  I like Dwayne's.  A lot.  They do good work.

Bottom line, Wally World send out goes to Dwayne's.  36 exposure 35mm
(E-6 and Kodachrome), 120 or 220 E-6 is $4.88 per roll, and it usually
takes 7 to 10 days.  I'm a happy camper.

FWIW - there are a couple of "pro" labs in the area, but I haven't tried
them.  They cater mostly to wedding photographers and don't seem to have
much interest in developing a roll or two for guys like me.  They're
also considerably more expensive.  I suppose I'd use them if I was being
paid for it, but for the amateur crap I shoot, Wal-Mart is fine.

Thanks for listening.

--
Scott Loveless
http://www.twosixteen.com/fivetoedsloth/