On Sun, 11 Nov 2001 20:21:09 -0500, Tom Rittenhouse wrote:

> Very interesting. Let's see a 2400 bpi can give a 22-23 mb file size. A 6 mp
> image is about 18 mb. Now I never found my 2400 bpi scans to match a
> properly done photographic print of the same size. Yes digital prints can
> match photographic prints look at a Fuji Frontia print but they are made
> from a heck of a lot bigger file than we are talking about from any
> affordable digital camera.

And, to top it all off, you've just (apparently) fallen victim to
exactly the sort of flim-flammery the camera manufacturers want you to
fall victim to.  An xMP image from a digital camera is (generally)
_not_ equal to an xMP image from a scanner.  The scanner actually
captures 24 or more bits of color data for each of those individual
pixels.  A digital camera usually only captures one "color's worth" of
data for each pixel and interpolates the rest from its surroundings.
So, the end result is not even as good as comparing an xMP full color
digital camera image to an xMP scanned image.  The flip side of the
coin is that a digital image is first generation, where a scanned film
image is second generation.

Like you, Tom, I'm not a Luddite.  For heaven's sake, I make my living
on computer technology.  But I'm also not going to buy into their
marketing cloud of smoke.  Digital cameras have a _long_ way to go to
equal the information capture capabilities of film.  They're fine right
now for P&S applications, but a 6MP camera is only one third of a 6MP
scanner, as things stand right now.  And neither one approaches the
capture capabilities of film, according to the research I've seen.

And, to top it all off, to really capture everything film has to offer,
digital has to go at least slightly more than twice the theoretical
capture resolution of the film (Nyquist sampling theorem, or was it
Shannon ?).

TTYL, DougF