http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-releases/13173-pentax-news-something-interesting-really.html

Interesting thread. Some intriguing quotes:

-----
Quote 1:

Hoya is a huge supplier of lens blanks for many companies, including the
"big two". That merger only spells major positives, especially for
Pentax. Think about it - Hoya can now give Pentax their lens blanks at
cost... because they own Pentax...

I cannot disclose other positives in the Pentax camp - I'm aware of
what's coming up, but only in the general specs dept.

This I do know for certain: some of the deficiencies will be addressed -
especially in the lens department. Granted, not everyone can afford a
400/2.8 or longer, but it's coming!! No I didn't say they're releasing
that lens - but the lens selection improvement is coming. You read it
here first: come January that news should be released.

Guys, you know I don't believe in conjecture/rumors, etc., but what I
said in the previous paragraph is first hand from Pentax USA. I know
this, but I am bound to a non-disclosure agreement with Pentax USA...
stay the course, and you'll see the rewards of waiting.

Regards,
Marc

-----
Quote 2:

Hoya is backing Pentax Imaging with tons of R&D money and now have the
means to make something better than they expected period. The new lenses
on the road map went back to the drawing board since Pentax can now
afford to step things up in terms of glass blanks and processing.

-Chris

-----

Quote 3:

I know the designs are done or being completed for certain focal lengths
(those above 300mm...). Don't hold your breath for an AF 400/2.8 though!

Marc

-----

My reaction, if anyone cares:

Pentax's lens output has been constrained by limits to production
capacity in the Hanoi plant, for for the DA* lenses, by some problems in
quality of parts coming from suppliers. So I don't see how blanks from
Hoya will resolve anything soon.

That said, I really want a DA* 400 and a really good (Pentax designed)
DA 1.4x TC.

Joe