Actually, I've got a pretty decent handle on the physics of light, it
appears you have little handle on what improving fill factor means in
reality (Larger effective sensor sites at a given resolution and sensor
size). And yes, bigger IS better. That's exactly why the new sensors
have improved performance over the old ones, they have a larger
percentage of the sensor area capturing light because fill factor has
been improved and there's less wasted space on the sensor. So you're
getting the 'bigger' part with the same sensor size, due to improved
manufacturing capabilities.

And yes, these improvements apply to the FF cameras as well, thus the D3
with its performance advantage over the 5D at the same resolution and
sensor size. Improved sensor production tech is the sort of thing that
benefits most, if not all, sensor producers, and in this case us, as the
improvements affect the efficiency of the sensors gathering light.
Improving microlens designs also improves the light-gathering capability
of the sensors, and microlenses are a fairly new addition to mainstream
sensors, so there's likely some improvements still to be made there.

Pentax's more film like image is entirely a product of the camera's
processing, this isn't going to change when they come out with a camera
based on some variation of the new Sony sensor (or somebody else's with
the process improvements that allow a better fill factor). As to Oly,
they're continuously one step behind in noise performance and I don't
see that changing. They also don't have all that huge an advantage when
it comes to size, only the E-410 is truly smaller than other current
bodies and it achieves this at the cost of ergonomics.

As to the D300, I think you're putting significantly too much into the
idea that its performance comes primarily from improved processing. yes
it has a new, better, faster processor. And yes, it most likely has
improved noise reduction and this is most likely benefiting the sample
images. But witness the 1DmIII, which also gains some noise performance
via its new DiGiC III processors, and still turns in resolution numbers
that are high for its MP count across the board, improved NR does not
necessarily degrade image quality (Otherwise it wouldn't be 'improved').
There's a lot more to these new cameras than just better NR software.

You're grasping at straws here to try and find reasons why the new
generation sensors are not noticable improvements over the previous, 2+
year old, sensors that populate most of the current DSLR market outside
of Oly/Panasonic (Who have finally matched the older APS-C 10MP sensors
for noise performance).

High ISO noise performance is an area where most of the market has
improved while adding MP. Since there are hard, physical, limits on how
much light will hit a sensor site of theoretical max size for the
resolution and sensor size, this improvement indicates that we haven't
hit the actual physical limits of sensor design. We probably have hit
the current max for current sensor production technology, but that's not
to say that the production technology won't improve.

-Adam