On Oct 14, 2007, at 9:53 PM, Peter McIntosh wrote:

> Ouch!  Having dislocated a shoulder, I'd rather break a collarbone...

They checked me for a dislocated shoulder and from what I've heard I
am quite glad I didn't do that.

> Beware nurofen (or ibruprofen in general) - it's been shown to slow
> bone
> healing.  I've got statistics somewhere, but can't find them off-
> hand...
> The surgeon who screwed my elbow back together (plate and 9 screws
> after
> smashing it into 5 pieces during a BMX race) also advised against its
> use if I could tolerate the pain.

I've been prescribed both paracetamol and codeine.  I'm not using
them as much as I'm allowed to.  The bone isn't bothering me unless I
bump it but my muscles are really aching, which I think is largely
due to being partially immobile.  The closest I've come to that
previously was sleeping with three cats in the bed.

> I notice nobody has asked the obvious question, though: how's the
> bike? ;-)

I still haven't looked at it.  I know the front wheel has a small
kink which should be repairable.  I know the brakes still function,
and there's not really a lot else to go wrong :)

I'll have it looked over very thoroughly in the next week or two.

FWIW I had my broken helmet replaced today.  The manufacturer only
has a crash-replacement discount in the USA but the shop had them on
special with a really good discount.  I had to choose a different
colour though as they only had two left in my size.

- Dave