You see, Bill, I have printed large a certain crop from the F 17-28 FE
*on film* that was rather soft towards the (even cropped) corners. The
aperture was 5.6 or may be even 8.0. The F 17-28 FE is somewhat
unpredictable in that respect.

I haven't really tried FAJ 18-35 on film, but I don't hold my hopes
too high - after all it is kinda kit lens. Ideally I would have to
sell both FE 17-28 and FAJ 18-35 and buy FA 20/2.8 which I find rather
good idea to have done anyway. Unfortunately, either the price is
horrendous or it is not there. Yet of course FA 20/2.8 will not be too
wide on cropped body.

It is however may be logical to assume that even the mighty film
limited lenses might have problems on full frame DSLR should such a
beast come to being. I understand what you and Godfrey's saying - the
lenses and the bodies must fit together in the technological sense.

I am yet undecided... I am seeing plenty of very good pictures from DA
16-45 but I am still a bit reluctant to commit myself to the DA
lens(es).

Cheers!

--
Boris