The merits of this photo are of little consequence or interest, but
the notion that good street photography has to show a connection is,
to my mind, silliness. Most of HCB's pics are of unaware subjects.
And if the subject doesn't see the photographer, the focal length of
the lens matters little. To me, it's more important to be able to
achieve some selective focus -- blur the background -- than to be in
the proximity of the subject. I think the big advantage of wider
lenses has nothing to do with "intimacy." It's a matter of not having
to focus, or at least not having to focus accurately. Most often,
when the subject sees the photographer, you get either stock pose or
an angry response.
Paul