>Generally I find beeps and other artificial camera sounds distracting
>so I turn them off. However, if I need some way for the camera to
>inform me that it's locked focus when my eye is not at the
>viewfinder, or I cannot see the focus on screen or the indicator
>light, I turn on the focus confirmation beep.
>
>But this all seems so ridiculous. I mean, heck, if you're looking
>through the viewfinder and you can't see whether the image is in
>focus, why bother with an SLR? Are you that dependent upon auto focus
>systems?
>
>Godfrey

Sometimes it's hard to tell if something is in focus.  Eyes are getting
older, in dim light, with a 500mm f/8 lens on the front.  The focus
confirmation beep is just a reassurance that maybe it's focused precisely.
Getting two input confirmations auditory beep and visual blink is good.
Necessary no.

Like you said.

Tom C.