In a message dated 11/12/01 7:09:16 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Another, real, bonus (even [especially?]for snapshots) is that, once you
> have the setup on a shot that you desire, you can churn out copy after copy
> with a single press of a button.  In a darkroom, if a print takes twenty
> minutes to make, so does every one after that.
>
> mike

Hmm, I seem to recall that once I have the color balance dialed into the
enlarging head, I can expose about 12 8x10 (or other size) prints a minute,
producing 60 8x10s, dry-to dry prints in about 37 minutes.
Maybe what you say counts if one has a poor or B&W negative and must dodge
and burn parts of it.
My own experience with digital is that even the quality in the SONY Mavica
leaves images with much to be desired once uploaded, nearly every image
needing some sort of "tweaking" before you can print them.
Even then, what you get out of the printer (any) is ~NEVER~ what you see on
the monitor. ~Each~ digital image comes out different and take more time to
"finish" than chemical prints. That does ~not~ take into account the sorry
shadow detail in digital prints (and slides), no matter what kind of flash is
used.
**Ever seen a digital print made from a slide with poor or no shadow detail?
You'd lose your lunch!
***With digital paper costing an arm and leg, and having to sometimes print
three-four-five "tests" to get one "good" print, who says digital is
"comparable" in costs to chemical prints? With chemical prints of course, one
uses test strips but one 8x10 film sheet will yield seven or eight strips.

Mafud
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

The worse thing about digital? It utterly fills up your hard drive with all
these images you will never use but somehow feel an obligation to keep. I
finally went through my HDD(s), purged them of images I would not need or use
and gained back 1.6 GIG of space!  Next, I'm setting my Norton
SystemWorks2001 on the rest of the computer, purging all duplicate image
files.