On Oct 16, 2007, at 3:02 PM, Cotty wrote:

> I wish Olympus or Panasonic/Leica (or even Pentax for that matter )
> would make a small digital rangefinder, like about this sort of
> size.....
>
> <http://www.cameraquest.com/leicacl.htm>
>
> With Limited lenses it would be formidable.

You and me both. The CL with Summicron-C 40/2 was a favorite of mine.
(The Rollei 35S is my favorite fixed lens compact.) Of course, they'd
have to fit the Limited lenses with a different mount to make the
body that slim.

But I don't think it will happen any time soon. Sigma still hasn't
delivered on the DP-1 that they were showing a year ago, a close
equivalent to this. About the closest you can get is an Epson/Cosina
RD-1 or Leica M8.

The L1 fitted with a Nikkor or other 20mm lens is the next closest
thing. FoV works out to this for comparison purposes:

  FL  Hdeg  Vdeg  Ddeg
  35  54.4  37.8  63.4 *
  20  48.5  37.3  58.7 **
  40  48.5  33.4  56.8 *

*   35mm film format
** 4/3 System format

DoF works out this way for scale focus estimation:

f/8 - 11' nets 5.5' -> infinity
f/8 - 5' nets 3.5' -> 9.11'

(The Rollei 35S is scale focus only and you get very close to the
same thing if you set f/11 instead of f/8.)

Godfrey