well, I guess if we're only talking about how to determine what to
show, I find that telling myself folks don't want to see more than a
dozen images or so, usually makes the good ones float to the top.
Sometimes I also use time as a limiting factor - I once shot for 8
hours so figured I could show 30-40 images with impunity - trying to
make each image as different as possible.

However, it seems to me that it really depends on the audience and the
subject. e.g. I post far more for my photography club field trips
because I assume we're all learning and part of that involves showing
each other what we saw in the same time and place. Another example
would be a fashion shoot I did at a high school earlier this month, I
put up everything (gah!) except my worst mistakes assuming that each
parent would interested in their specific child.