It's not that the lates firmware improves focus, but that one of the
firmware updates changed the button sequence that allows access to the
cameras inbuilt service menu..

Through this menu you can calibrate the focus. My K10D AF, & AF
indicator, has always had a tendency to focus slightly behind whatever
I was trying to focus on.

Given that my eyesight isn't the best I tend to rely on the focus
confirmation indicator in certain situations, it's kinda'
frustraiting.

Cheers,

Dave