I recommend ~35mm to 50mm lens for 35mm cameras, ~20mm to 35mm for APS size
sensors to catch some sky, as you can't predict exactly where the trails
will appear. Must be on tripod. No point in having any of the ground in the
shot, unless for effect. NO LIGHTS IN FRAME! Lens should be wide open,
unless test shot reveals blurry even when properly focused. If this is so,
loose a stop. ISO should be 400. Length of exposure is dependent on light
pollution in your area. Best to get out of town. For me in Orange Co,
California, this means a 100 mile drive minimum, though you can do ome
backyard photography limited to the brightest trails. Try 10 minute
exposure. If it works (still black between star trails) good, else cut
exposure in half until there is some black between trails. If sensor noise
is apparent, cut in half 'till gone. If you're using a K10D, then use
Pentax's free downloadable software to automatically snap and retrieve your
exposures for as long as you want. Just lay back in a lawn recliner, a
blanket, beer, wings, chips & dip and some companions yak it up while
watching the show.

Use flashlights with red gel only.
Any auto lights for any reason will destroy your current exposure.

Regards,
Bob...
"Art is not a reflection of reality. it is the reality of a reflection."
      -Jean Luc Godard