Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

>On Oct 19, 2007, at 8:48 AM, ann sanfedele wrote:
>

>>>Interesting question.
>>>Is it a real "analog" pen or a digital one?
>>>I use a simple, cheap Wacom pen. I have made a PSD file with a
>>>signature ...
>>>

>>That wouldn't count as a real signed work in my book ...
>>

>The gallery folks I work with are in 100% agreement with you. It
>detracts from the collectible value of the piece.

Yup

>Every gallery owner and art buyer I've worked with around here
>requests pieces be hand-signed, hand-titled, on the front face, with
>the signature and title outside the area of the image itself for
>photographic works.

I've done that too - but didn't like how it looked, usually.   When I
matted stuff myself I wanted
to make sure that the way I had it matted and framed wasn't changed -
signing the matt
helped with that :) :)  but I signed the back of the pics for
reassurance it was mine if
it ever was parted from the matt and frame.

>They want it arranged so that the piece can be matted and framed to
>display the photograph as well as the signature and title, or not
>depending upon the particular exhibition needs. A buyer can cover the
>signature and title with a matte afterwards as well, if they so choose.
>
>Godfrey

the galleries I showed in gave me pretty much free rein in the signing
and framing department.
unfortunately, that meant I had to do the scut work myself  - har!

ann