Its already been a week since I broke my left collarbone and it's
feeling a lot better than I would have expected.  I cut the
painkillers down to bedtime-only after a couple of days (I was only
taking about half of what I was allowed to in the first place).  A
couple of days later I decided to stop them altogether.

Most of the pain I'm getting now is in the upper back.  I think this
is partly due to my sleeping position and also due to the arm-in-a-
sling pulling downwards on my neck.  As a result I'm finding it quite
hard to stand still for very long (I was getting quite impatient in
the shops today).

During the past couple of days I've been trying to keep my arm out of
the sling as much as possible.  I only wear it now when I'm out &
about to show people that they should take care not to bump into me.
I have regained limited use of my arm and it seems to be really good
unless I move that f***king muscle that pulls the shoulder forward.
The one that, whenever you drop something, instinctively lunges quite
forcefully.

At some stage I know that the novelty of this new experience is going
to wear off.  I'm still keeping my spirits up but I'll be happier
when I can cook again.  I also need to work out a better solution for
my commuting situation.  I don't mind being unable to mow the lawn
though :) :)

I have my first physio appointment on Tuesday, then it's back to the
fracture clinic on Thursday for a checkup.  Most of my healthcare is
covered by ACC, our state-run provider of accident coverage.  Its
reputation is pretty typical for any government department but I'm
still glad it's there.

The damage to the bike, as far as I can tell, is just a bent front
wheel - the road rash on the rim suggests that it actually went under
the wheel of the van that I only just missed myself.  There are also
some nasty scratches on one of the brake levers.  I'll have the bike
fully checked out anyway as you never know what else might be wrong.
I'm especially sensitive about brakes, for some reason ;)

BTW I'd like to thank everyone here again for their wishes, they were
quite lifting :)

Cheers,

- Dave