Every year, during Good Food Month, there is a public art festival here
in Sydney. One of the favourite events is the Sydney Life photo comp.
The promo always describes them as "bedsheet size prints" hung under the
wide avenue in Hyde Park. Only just managed to catch it yesterday, while
the curator and a few of the photographers gave a commentary on the works.

If you have the bandwidth, a 3MB catalog is here

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/artandabout/Default.asp

The winner this year, Garry Trinh, is a surprising winner. He was taking
photos of his neighbourhood in the Western suburbs, an area with a large
multicultural mix, but also a fairly high crime area. He said, the shot
of a modest bungalow, with all the windows shuttered, was taken a few
weeks after the Cronulla riots (an ugly episode 2 years ago now). What
was supposed to be a simple assignment became something more disturbing
for him as he got fearful and openly hostile responses from his
subjects. Great shot, and good on the judges for picking it over the
other more conventional "Sydney=pleasure" photos.

But my pick was the ethereal Kings Cross portrait by Tom Williams. The
girl was just someone on the street the photographer saw and asked if
she would pose for him. She had been partying for 3 days without sleep.
Just beautiful (and yes, I know I am contradicting myself :)

If you are in Sydney, today is the last day of the exhib.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://members.iinet.net.au/~derbyc