When they were decommissioned, the ultimate sacrilege was committed:
they cut the wings and backbone on all but the three (?) left in
NASA's care so that they could never be flown again. I practically
cried when I heard that. I hate to see beautiful things destroyed,
whether for good reason or not.

When I was at NASA/JPL, I worked in the Radar Science and Technology
group. One day, in the basement lab where a lot of the equipment I
occasionally had to deal with was located, a funny big lump of thing
was delivered. It was a Synthetic Aperture Radar unit from the nose
of an SR-71 ... declassified and now useless, they sent it to us to
play with. It was an optical processing SAR, doing the essence of the
required 2DFFT transformations required to take the returned
backscatter from the radar chirps back into the spatial/intensity
domain via a set of custom made, very complex lenses. To do this job,
you need to know the vertical altitude, the speed of the aircraft,
and the frequency of the radar transmit/receive cycling. The
returning signal went through the lenses and wrote an image onto long
reels of 70mm film, speed matched to the aircraft ground speed. The
lenses had built into them the assumptions of altitude for image
scanning data takes.

Three sets of lenses were packaged with the unit. Calculations showed
one set was for FL 70, one for FL 80 and one for FL 90. So I know for
a fact that the SR-71 was capable of hitting at least 90,000 foot
elevations for data acquisition... And I'm sure there was at least a
15-20% additional, emergency altitude buffer to get out of the way,
fast!, when a surface-to-air or air-to-air missile was aimed at one.
Of course at such altitudes it would likely be more akin to a
ballistic missile than aeronautical flight!

My friend, Dr. Al Bowers of NASA/Dryden, was for a short time the
manager of NASA's SR-71 planes. You've probably seen him on a couple
of Discovery or Science Channel shows from time to time. He's a big
Ducati and Alfa Romeo enthusiast, a cool guy, and is also into
Hasselblads and Rolleis... I've often cajoled him that he should have
someone take me up for a joyride... ;-)

The SR-71 was a unique and amazing aircraft. Whether its like will
ever be seen again remains to be seen ... or it's flying now under
the black shroud of security and we'll hear about it in another
decade and some...

Godfrey