John Sessoms wrote:

> I'm not sure how much of the B-70 ended up in the SR-71 "Blackbird"
> since they were near contemporary products of competitors - B-70 by
> North American Aviation and SR-71 by Lockheed.

Pretty much nothing was shared between the B-70 and the SR-71(the
designs are completely different), the SR-71 was an outgrowth of the
A-12 program, although the SR-71 designation does come from the
short-lived B-71 designation that the A-12 follow-on acquired when it
was proposed as a replacement for the already long-cancelled B-70 (The
B-70 was cancelled in '58, the A-12 didn't fly until '62 and the SR-71
program began around that time). Interestingly, the SR-71 tooling was
destroyed at the direct orders of Robert MacNamara, quite possibly due
to the possibility of the F-12 program replacing the troubled F-111
program for a USAF interceptor (A role which was eventually filled by
the F-15, not the F-111 whihc proved unsuitable for almost all of its
designed roles).

-Adam