Pentax wants to sell everything in their inventory before it devalues.  So
does every company.  If Pentax is giving rebates you can bet they want to
unload the cameras quickly.

It's the product cycle, not necessarily Pentax.

The lifetime of a digital camera in today's market, from release to the time
it is surpassed, is Dust in the Wind.

Tom C.