About half an hour ago there was a magnitude 5.6 quake about
10 miles NE of San Jose (around 15 miles from our house).

It was enough to shake the house for three or four seconds,
but nothing more than that.  The cats were a bit startled.
A quick check shows not even minor damage - nothing even
shaken off any shelves (although a 5.6 is enough to do that
closer to the epicenter, so I expect there'll be reports
of that kind of thing on the evening news).