Being able to transfer your images directly to the laptop your assistant is
using to print and sell the images without having to stop shooting is a money
making benefit for event photographers. If you are just taking photos for
yourself it is probably only good for bragging rights.

I think these days globe trotting photojournalists just connect the camera to
their Sat-phone. Often set up so they go out as they are shooting.

Sure beats the days when you had to send your film to Outer Mongolia to get it
developed. Of course when I was a kid I just dropped the film off at the corner
drug store a short block and a half from the house, and right on the way to
school. It was usually back the next day. And, you think things are more
convenient nowadays.