This is true for all flash media volumes.

Format deletes and initializes the FAT (or FAT32) directory table. It
might also do a consistency check on blocks in the volume and adjust
the directory table to compensate for bad blocks, but I don't know if
anyone has actually implemented doing that in a camera. It does NOT
do anything to overwrite or zero the actual data bits on the volume.
Format, since it re-writes the file directory tables, is useful to
eliminate any possibly corrupted directory information.

Delete All individually does a delete operation on a per-file
basis ... this means removing the file from the FAT directory table,
one at a time, NOT overwriting or zeroing the actual data bits on the
volume either. It honors "protect" attributes you might have set on
files, so if you do a Delete All on a card with 200 files, 10 of
which had a Protect setting, the card will have those 10 files on it
after the operation is complete. This is useful now and then when
you're running out of card storage but need to preserve some captures
on the card.

Which one is best to use depends on what you're trying to do. If the
goal is simply clearing the card and you don't care about protect
settings, they work about the same.

Godfrey