My son and I shot a lot of pics together at an air show in
Jacksonville on Sat. When I downloaded the pics the first thing I
noticed was the filthy images from the istDL that I had let my son
use. I seldom use the camera since getting the K10 a year ago, but I
don't remember it being this dirty the last time I had used it.
I tried blowing the dust out with a squeeze bulb but no luck. So, this
morning I bought a cleaning kit, the Green Clean. It uses a wet and
dry swab and a canned air vacuum. I tried the vacuum first but it was
still pretty dirty. Under a bright light the grime and spots were
readily visible. So, I broke out the wet/dry swabs. Short version,
they work, but not as easily as described in the instructions. There
seemed to be a lot of redidue left by the wet swab that was difficult
to remove with the dry swab. A second attempt was necessary but it did
come clean. A final blast of air and it shows a very clean sensor,
visually and with an exposure of the clear blue sky.
I inspected the K10 because there were a couple of spots that had
shown up on the airshow images from it, but a blast of air was all
that was needed to restore it to full service.  I guess there is
something to be said in favor of the K10 sensor being either "cleaner
running" or the built in sensor clean system does work at least a
little.

Walt