I can't call this a stupid newbie question,  because I am not a newbie
anymore. ;-)

Previously I have not shot much  with wide angles. I used my Canon 17-40 in
Yosemite and thought I noticed some  trees leaning in slightly in some shots.
But only slightly.

I have  noticed a lot of distortion using the 16-45 on the K100D. While
sometimes I  don't mind this, other times I have been annoyed because I wasn't
taking it into  account. I am also reassessing the lens.

However, I realize I am not all  that clear on the difference between barrel
distortion and perspective  distortion.

I also realize that getting more in the frame than normal  perspective would
allow must mean something will happen.

I am curious if  there is a formula for when perspective distortion will not
occur, or some focal  length at which it will not occur? Would about 45mm be
the cut off point -- it  won't occur at 45mm? As for barrel distortion, it
seems to be depend on the  lens. It seems people use brick wall to test for
barrel
distortion. Is that  true, some wide angles have barrel distortion and some
do not? Or do they all to  some degree?

As you can tell, I am not quite sure how to phrase this  question.

Basically what I want to know is when I shoot with the 16-45  when I will get
some distortion and when I am likely not to. So I can take it  into account
and plan for it. And use the 16mm end or zoom in a bit more to  avoid it when I
want to avoid it.

And anyone who wants to expound more on  the difference between barrel
distortion and perspective distortion, too, feel  free. I am pretty clueless on
the
whole topic.

I think this is  perspective distortion... (which I don't mind in this case,
but this is not the  strongest example, just one I have  shown)

http://members.aol.com/eactivist/PAWS/pages/temple2.htm

I  think this was may be barrel distortion. When I looked at it I found the
lamp  post leaning in, so I straighten the picture in Elements 5 with
Transform/Skew.  Hence the distortion isn't showing anymore, but it was  there.

http://members.aol.com/eactivist/PAWS/pages/bars.htm

I can  go back and look at exitf if needed, but I think the top was shot at
16mm and  the lower one longer.

TIA for anything you want to offer, Marnie aka Doe  :-)

Warning: I am now  filtering my email, so you may be censored.