If you leave the JPEG settings at full resolution and normal
defaults, approximately 8-12x will be close to 1:1 pixel resolution
for checking sharpness.

Since I capture exclusively in RAW format, I set JPEG settings to
minimum size, sharpening and contrast so that the histogram is as
close to what the RAW data should show as possible. 8x and the
preview JPEG is looking a bit blurred in this case.

So I rarely "chimp" at all ... I turn off auto-review. But I leave
histogram and saturation blinkies running when I do digital preview
for checking exposures intentionally.

Godfrey