On Sat, 17 Nov 2001 04:35:08 EST, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>good morning pug-sters:
>
>looking at perhaps purchasing my 1st film scanner.  i remember reading a few
>weeks/months back about the pacific image 1800u.  a local shop now has them
>in stock.
>
>could those w/real-world experience share some of their experiences?
>
>since i usually don't shoot slides, for those who do shoot print film, do u
>no longer have prints made at a lab but now scan from your negatives?

I use the 1800u quite a lot and have found a system that works for me.
I don't use the colour balancing in the scanner software at all.  I set
the scanner up in 36 bit mode and adjust the curves to cover the high
and low points of the scan and then scan it into photoshop and do
colour correction in there.  My standard colour correction is using the
levels control in photoshop  - hit the auto button then adjust mid blue
to about 70, mid green to about 84.  This gives me a good starting
point for fine tuning.

They are now selling the Primefile with an option of new software
called Silverfast.

You can get a demo version of the software from here
http://www.silverfast.com/silverfast/demos/pc-en.html

It is a lot better than the standard software for colour control, but
costs a bit too much for me.  Buying it bundled might make it worth
while.

I find it easier to scan negs than slides even though I scan more
slides than negs.  I have just coupled my 1800u with an Epson
810printer and have printed out some very nice A4 size prints.

 Leon

http://www.bluering.org.au
http://www.bluering.org.au/leon