Hi Maris ...

I'd pretty much agree with just much of what has been said, but,
depending on the size of the documents, I'd suggest using a copy stand
which will hold the work in perfect alignment with the film plane.  Of
course, not many people have access to a copy stand, and depending on
how critical the work has to be it may not be necessary.

Instead of putting the work on a wall and shooting from a tripod, try
placing the work on the floor or table, and shooting straight down with
the camera on the tripod.  This can provide a more critical alignment if
you have a head with built-in bubble levels, or you can get an
inexpensive level at the local hardware store.  Not all tripods have a
head that allows for shooting in that position, but if you've got one,
it may be the way to go.

A macro lens is ideal, of course, but baring that the SMC Pentax
K105/2.8 and the 135/2.5 are excellent for this purpose, especially with
a standard extension tube or the helicoid extension tube.  The K85/1.8
is also an excellent lens, and perhaps a little better in one way, as
it, and some of the other 85mm lenses, require that the focusing collar
be turned a great deal to move from infinity to closest focusing.  This
allows making very fine focusing adjustments a little easier than with
lenses that require only 90- or 120-degrees to go from close focus to
infinity.

While you want to stop down a bit, you also want to keep the shutter
speed either above 1/30 second or below 1/4 second.  Many SLR cameras
have a vibration that's hard to eliminate at speeds between 1/30th and
1/8th second.  Here's the perfect place to use a camera with MLU or,
perhaps, mirror pre-fire.  Be sure to either use a cable release or the
camera's self timer.  And also be sure the tripod is very stable and
perhaps even weighted down to reduce vibration and movement.

HTH ... I hope I didn't forget anything.

--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]