Scott Loveless wrote:

>For what it's worth, when I set up the new PUG form, I specifically
>allowed PNG images.  This was really just an experiment to see if
>anyone would actually post one.  So far, it's all been JPG.

Given the file size limitations, that's not surprising.

The only time I use PNG images on the web are in circumstances in which
the use of the alpha channel is needed for transparency. And I try to
avoid those as much as possible because of compatibility issues (you'd
be amazed how many people are using IE 6 and even IE 5).

For photographic images, JPEG provides equal results as far as human
eyesight is concerned, and at much smaller file size.