<snip very interesting insider's look at Apple history>

> Apple hardware today is the best it's ever been and a good value for
> dollar. The fact that you can use it to run three operating systems
> (Mac OS X, Linux and Windows), all with screaming performance and
> high reliability, makes it unique in todays computer market. Mac OS X
> today is a very strong, robust, richly featured operating system,
> designed and implemented for at least a twenty year development life.

        I basically stopped being a mac person when I started playing with
Linux and realized I could have a real OS that performed really well on
inexpensive hardware I could assemble myself.  I was tired of being jerked
around with my powermac (7100) having been promised an updated OS and
having it get delayed and ultimately cancelled.  When OSX finally came
out, I'd moved to generic "white box" PC's.  Anymore, I find the
proprietary OS's (Windows AND MacOS-X) confining anyway.  Having played
with the MacOS-X recently, it's definately very nice.... I really like
NeXTStep, and love what it's become.

> I see absolutely no point to the "hackintosh" stuff. It was *easy* to
> run Mac OS X on generic Intel PC boxes when we were building it ... I
> was directly involved in that project from 1999 to 2004, in various
> capacities ... and to anyone with good engineering skills it would
> not be difficult to backwards engineer it and make it run. But why
> buy into substandard hardware and suffer all the crap that buying
> cheap-ass PC junk implies?

        Not all PCs are junk.  If one is handy, spec'ing out a machine and
building it from quality components can result in a machine that has
better performance than anything from Apple.  Lots of effort, and you lose
the best part of MacOS (shit just *working*!).

> Besides, Apple will fight a commercial effort of this sort tooth and
> nail, and they have the financial resources to smash it flat.
>
> Godfrey

        My tinfoil-hat part of me hopes they figure a way to leverage
the hardware-agnostic ability of MacOS to smash the steaming pile of shit
that is Windows.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA                                       *
* Electrical Engineering                                                *