Actually, 16 bit editing under Linux is possible using Cinepaint.

I haven't used it although I'd be prepared to give it a try if I could find a
way of adequately calibrating my monitor under Linux.  The brightness/contrast
controls on my monitor are next to useless and the video card doesn't have
Linux drivers that allow calibration of the display via the card.
Consequently, on my monitor, images in Linux show poor detail in the shadows.

Cheers

Brian

Brian Walters
Western Sydney Australia