Funny, this ties into my digital printer challenge. Since even with my five
year old printer I get better results than you are something, as you
surmise, is wrong.

First check your printer setup properties. You should find a section for
Quality. Select the best quality paper selections they give. On my printer
that is "glossy film".  For print quality select "Photographic". Select the
highest resolution they offer. On mine that is 720x720. You may have to do
this every time you set up to print another image as some of the printer
software resets to the default values every time you print. If not then you
are going to have to go in and select the low quality settings when you want
to print text. You just can not win. <g>

Ok, now resample your image to give 200 to 300 pixels per inch at the size
you want to print it. Use a .tif image a .jpg has lost a lot of data when it
was saved.

Try a print. Most of your problem should be solved. For the best quality
print you are going to have to find the paper that work best with your inks.
Strangely, I find a generic high gloss photo quality paper from Office Depot
seems to work better than any of the higher priced stuff I have tried
including the printer manufactures paper.

Now at this point it is time to calibrate your scaner, monitor, and printer
to work together so what you see is pretty close to what you get. I am still
working on this myself, so some one else can probably help you better than I
can.

--graywolf
The optimist's cup is half full,
The pessimist's is half empty,