Pentax got the idea from Minolta, who introduced their wireless flash
system, complete with moronic channel selection, in 1992.

Given the peculiarities of the P-TTL wireless system, I halfway
suspect it might be a licensed version of Minolta's ADI metered TTL
system. The two work (And don't work) in very similar ways.

-Adam

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca