Just an ordinary shot. But posted as a follow up  to the last.

A friend told me that driving up and down Lassen was not  scary. But when I
got to the top and was about to drive down it (luckily there  was a lookout at
the peak), I discovered the trees (pines) had totally  disappeared. I would
have been driving down the OUTSIDE of the mountain, all  bare rock, windy road,
narrow, very steep drop off. It was supremely scary TO  ME, so I turned around
and went back down the way I had come.

I decided  to go UP the other side. But instead of going back to the freeway,
about a 40  minute trip, I drove a back road to the other side.Lots of back
roads, tiny  towns (2-3 stores), and no obvious way to connect to the road that
went to the  mountain (there was one on the map). I got lost for an hour and
a half. Got  further and further away from the mountain. Finally I gave up,
and luckily I was  able to retrace my steps and find the road to the freeway.
So
I never saw the  lava beds or the other side of the mountain. :-(

Made me wish for  GPS.

On this side of the mountain were fields and fields strewn with  rocks.
Obviously lava-type rocks that had been spewed through the air when  Lassen
erupted
in the 1900's.

You can barely see Mt. Lassen in the  background. I just thought the geology
was mildly interesting.

My most  embarrassing travel story to date  though.

http://members.aol.com/eactivist/PAWS/pages/lassen2.htm

Comments  okay, but not necessary. However, no snickering please.

Marnie aka Doe  :-)  Scaredy  cat.

Warning: I am now  filtering my email, so you may be censored.