There aren't enough details about the K20D implementation yet. I hope
it's good.

The number of pixels on the display should not be an issue. All
that's needed is to do a magnification in manual focus mode to enable
you to see the critical focus point.

The Panasonic L1, with a similar sized LCD, has an MF Assist mode for
Live View which allows 4x and 10x magnification to enable very easy
critical focus. I use this all the time when tripod mounted, and even
hand-held in some instances, to nail the focus perfectly. It is
extremely useful and much more effective than a focusing screen
magnifier for the optical reflex system. 4x is enough for telephotos,
10x is important when using ultrawide lenses.

The Olympus E-3 Live View supports 5x, 7x and 10x magnifications.
Other Olympus DSLRs with Live View (E-330, E-410, E-510) have other
variations on magnification. Don't know about the 40D or D300/D3
implementations.

Godfrey