My family are all from small-town rural areas, sometime in the next
few years I'll be retiring and moving to a small town, but during my
adult life I have always lived in cities. And one thing I have always
appreciated about cities are the museums and galleries. Here in
Kansas City the Nelson-Atkins is a mid-range (not great) museum, but
last year finished a major expansion with the construction of a
highly acclaimed (by architects nationally) and frequently ridiculed
(by local rubes) new modern space adjoining the original 1930's
typical neo-gothic pile of stone. Coincident with, or maybe because
of, the expansion, Hallmark Cards (headquartered here in town) gave
the museum their entire collection of hundreds of thousands
photographic images. And so the new space has large spaces devoted to
photography. One relatively permanent section with images of the
Masters, a second section with rotating collections of lesser-know
artists, and sometimes a photography exhibit in one of the two
Special Exhibits sections.

Yesterday through early April one of the Special Exhibits is on the
work of Art Sinsabaugh. Some of his early work while a student in
Chicago in the early 1950's, and then images from his midwest
landscape series and his Chicago series, both done in the early-mid
60's.

Sinsabaugh used a large format camera. I mean, really large! 12'' x
20" large! His camera (and the very sturdy wooden tripod) were there
as part of the exhibit. One of the fascinating aspects of his work is
that they were all printed 20' wide (presumably contact printed from
the negative.) However, for many of the midwest landscape shorts, the
print was only 1-2" tall, and none were over 5 inches tall. So you
have a panorama effect achieved through selective cropping from the
top, with a very successful result. Though there were a couple I
would have liked to have seen full-frame; I think the huge empty sky
that he cropped out could have been at least as effective as the very
short very wide panoramas. (His Chicago prints tended to be taller
because of the greater vertical content he was dealing with in the
city.)

A smaller exhibit had photos by contemporary photographers Mark Klett
and Bryon Wolfe and by Mark Ruwedel. Klett&Wolfe have done many
recreations of the masters' work, locating the exact spot, angle,
time of day etc. where Muybridge or Adams must have stood to take
some of their iconic images. Their prints are mostly stitched-
together panoramas overlaid with reproductions of prints from the
original artist. So you can see the broad view, and see what elements
of the scene Ansel or whoever chose to focus on. In one particular
image, they found a spot on the shore of Lake Tenaya (Yosemite) where
at various times Muybridge (1872), Weston (1937) and Adams (1942) all
stood and took three very different pictures. A fascinating
demonstration of the art of composition.

I am not sure about the Sinsabaugh exhibit, but I wouldn't be
surprised if the Klett&Wolfe work showed up at a gallery or museum
near you one of these days - worth an afternoon.

stan