----- Original Message -----
From: "Gaurav Aggarwal"
Subject: k10d vs nikon d80 handling

> Hi,
>
> I am hoping to buy my first Digital SLR and spent a few minutes in a
> store before my wife dragged me out :-) I use a Pentax ZX-M with two
> PKA zoom lenses right now (35-105 f/3.5 and 70-200 f/4).
>
> I thought that I liked the feel of Pentax K10D but then when I tried
> Nikon D80 it sort of felt lot better. Was this because I spent too
> little time inside the store and not outside etc.? I don't know. The
> focussing on Pentax with the 18-55 seemed to hunt compared to the
> Nikon that had 18-70.
>
> Has anyone had direct exposure to Canon and Nikon besides Pentax. I
> searched the archive and read a few emails on this topic but wanted to
> ask all over again. Sorry about this. My concern is that Pentax
> autofocus may seem to hunt more and be less accurate. The salesman and
> couple of other customers in the store all suggested that Nikon is way
> better than Pentax.

It would have been nice if you had compared equivalent lenses in your
research.
There is no doubt in my mind that anything other than the bottom end Nikon
or Canon bodies will outperform the K10 auto focus.
However, I bought into Pentax because I wanted to use Pentax lenses, moving
away from Nikon and their lenses in the process.
To my eye, Pentax glass takes better pictures.
Twenty five years later, many as a professional photographer, I still think
I made the right decision.
The K10 offers image stabilization to the two lenses you already own,
If your most important criteria is camera body performance, the D80 will be
the better camera, if overall picture quality is your most important
criteria, I believe Pentax is still the better choice.

William Robb