There are several variations on the Jpeg standard.  The camera probably
only recognizes it's own output.  In fact the only difference is
probably in the OS tags and just opening it may have modified some of
the tags to something that the camera doesn't recognize so it doesn't
even attempt to open the file.

Derby Chang wrote:
> Sort of OT, but this puzzles me.
>
> My friend as a little Canon P&S. She recently took a few pics that she
> wanted to print straight away. So she pulled the card out, opened a few
> of the pics from the card (knowing she shouldn't do this, but she was in
> a rush) in Photoshop, and printed them. Didn't save, and the Date/Time
> Modified of the files on the card are still the same as the Create Date.
> But sticking the card back into the Canon, she gets an "Unrecognized
> file format" error on just the JPGs she opened.
>
> We copied the files back onto her laptop, and the JPGs are fine. What's
> going on there?

I am personally a member of the Cream of the Illuminati.
A union with the Bavarian Illuminati is contemplated.
When it is complete the Bavarian Cream Illuminati will rule the world
        -- Anonymous