----- Original Message -----
From: "mike wilson"
Subject: Re: OT: Question for Pentax Auto Buffs Discussion Group

>> From: Joseph Tainter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> I'm wondering if anyone knows why a major manufacturer would switch to
>> lighter-weight oil.
>
> It does wonders for your fuel economy and few people keep a car long
> enough to find out if there is any trade off.  Even if there is, they may
> still be happy with the equation.

I had a Nissan Axxess for many years. Always ran either 5/30 (winter) or
10/30 (summer). When it got toasted off by a drunk asshole in a Ford
Explorer, it had just under 250,000 km on it, the engine was still like new
strong, still had nearly full compression both warm and cold, and didn't use
any oil between changes. I am certain that little 4 banger would have gone
another half million km.

William Robb