Bob Sullivan wrote:
> Didn't recognize that it was a 1942 design.
> The Russians recognized the power of the German army carrying machine
> guns early on.
> I guess we did too.  But the AK47 was a lot better design.

In a way, but the AK was a different type of gun.  The M3 grease gun and
the Tommy Gun and the Sten and the Schmeisser were all submachine guns.
  The Sturmgewehr (StG44, MP43, MP44) and the AK-47 and later the
AR-15/M-16 were the first two of the then-new assault rifle category.
Both subs and ARs are bigger than pistols, but subs fire pistol
cartridges like the 9mm and the 0.45 cal, while ARs fire rifle
cartridges like the 7.92x33mm Kurz (StG44) or 7.62x39mm (AK).

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)