On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 04:22:49PM -0500, frank theriault wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 3:52 PM, Malcolm Smith
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> >  Richard Ballantyne (sp?) whose bicycle book I considered essential reading
> >  in the 70s had a different take on this. His view was that you should spend
> >  money on a good cycle with quality components, so that you don't get
> >  discouraged by one that is forever in need of repair or a horror to ride. I
> >  think his phrase was 'a good cycle ride doesn't allow you to have apple pie
> >  and ice cream' but regular exercise, especially if you do get into cycling,
> >  is likely to lead to you watching what you eat etc - and your weight will
> >  drop.
> >
> >  Bicycling magazine is right that most could do with losing 10 lbs (if only
> >  in my case!) but the longer view is that an expensive bike may get you
> > there
> >  - both in terms of destination and ideal weight.
> >

> I don't disagree with what you (rather, Mr. Ballantyne) say.  I
> heartily endorse the purchase of good quality bicycles with the best
> groupo that one can afford.  If one buys a slug of a bike, too much
> effort will go into riding it, it won't be fun, and the bike will
> languish in a garage or basement rather than fulfilling it's destiny
> of being ridden by smiling owners.

Well, I bought close to an entry-level machine (a Raleigh Venture 3.0) -
to get much cheaper I'd have had to go to Toys-R-Us, not to a bike shop.
It's easy (and fun) to ride; I'm missing my daily ride while my ankle heals.
I may treat myself to something nicer in a year or so, but I find the bike
to be an enabler, not an obstacle.