In a message dated 11/22/01 2:56:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> "I'd guess that you could count the number of computers, etc., in private
> hands in Ethiopia in the low thousands, in a total population of about 60
> million."
>
> We may never learn the true extent that computers have penetrated Ethiopia.
> But the "low thousands" surely can't be correct in that the nation has
> electricity, but not near the degree of America. I'm reminded that
> electricity is all over Europe, but outdoor toilets still prevail in some
> areas. Some areas of western Europe have more private telephones than
> indoor toilets. So electricity is not the benchmark to measure

"Most of the country doesn't have electricity to run these things. Most of
the people
> couldn't afford batteries even if they were available."

Again, you must not have traveled in the small metro areas I've been in."

"Bear in mind that the average family income in these countries is less than
US$ 100-
> per year."

I'm not going to get into a p*issing match here, but your figures are far too
low and border on the ludicrous.

Maybe we travel to different countries. "Poor" does not indicate "Destitute,"
though some countries in eastern Europe qualify for the title, as well as a
nation like Ethiopia. My remark was not intended to explain poverty. I made
the original remark in context with being able to view pictures in those
countries without a vast network of electricity. Eastern Europe come easily
to mind.
More succinctly: you need electricity to use a computer or view images on it.
To view photographs, one only needs ~light~.

Mafud
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]