No, the 'ban' was to minimize events such as that at Port Arthur a few years
ago when one moron killed 30 or more people in a hour or two.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Arthur_massacre_%28Australia%29

It's not a ban, as such - just a limitation on certain types of firearms.  It
involved a "buy back" purchase and destruction of "all" semi-automatic rifles

Cheers

Brian

Brian Walters
Western Sydney, Australia