----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles Robinson"
Subject: Filling a gap in the lens lineup - suggestions?

> I've always wanted something in an ultra-wide - most of the time when
> I use the kit lens it's for that 18mm setting.    So I'm thinking that
> something like the Pentax 12-24 would be pretty good, leaving only a
> small gap between the 24 on the Pentax and the 28 on the Tamron.
>
> But another line of thought is that the 16-50 f2.8 would be an awesome
> lens to put on the K10D as it would give me something "all-around" and
> weatherproof to boot.  But I'm not sure how rah-rah WIDE 16mm is on
> the 16-50.  Plus it does overlap the Tamron by quite a bit.
>
> Size, weight, cost are about the same for each.
>
> Gosh, what would YOU do if you had to choose between these?  Would it
> be smarter to just get the venerable 16-45 (almost the same zoom range
> as the 16-50 and about $300 cheaper)?  How wide does a non-fisheye
> 16mm lens look?   And is it reasonable to think that a person could
> use the 12-24 as a "walkaround" lens or is it just too-too wide for
> "regular" photography?

Well, you can never have too many lenses....
A non fish eye 16mm looks surprisingly like a 24mm on the 35mm film format. I
love my 12-24, and
was looking seriously at the 16-50 until I remembered that I have somethning
like a eighteen
lenses within it's range already.
I think the 12-24 is rather wide for a general purpose lens, I find it is more
of a specialty
lens when I really just need something wider than the 14/2.8. The 16-50 would
be the better
walkaround lens and is still quite wide.

William Robb