Hi Michael,

you got a couple of answers already and I am essentially in line. Forget
about Jessops own range.

It depends on your subject matter, type of camera and length of lens what
to recommend. My tripod is a Manfrotto 190, slightly lighter in weight and
size than Frantisek's 055. I used it up to 200mm focal lenght and found it
ok, but this one is clearly not up for a 400mm.

I bought the 190 for bike trips or when walking. I played with the 055 but
it was definitely to heavy. In strong wind however I have to compromise
and to add stability by not extending the legs. The 055 will do better in
such situations.

I have no knowledge on the Gitzo or Berleback, other than that they have a
good reputation. Also Benbo has a good reputation, particularly for makro
work.

For GBP 100 the Manfrotto 055 and 190 would be the first things I look at.
Unless you are a user of long lenses (> 300mm), I would not choose
anything heavier to start with. Forget about anything with plastic in the
supporting structure. It will show with a 50mm lens.

Take your camera and your longest lens into the shop. Mount the camera
with the lens on the tripod/head combo and tip on the prism while looking
through the finder. The differences in quality will show.

All the best
Joachim