> >  The Aussies on list might recognise the blue & yellow
> vessel from the
> >  news. That's the Customs & Fisheries vessel that shadowed
> the Japanese
> >  whaling fleet.
> >
> >  P.P.S.
> >
> >  Brian, that shot was out 0.38 degrees ;-)
>
> I've always wanted to do a Transatlantic crossing on one of the old
> liners (notice, I didn't say "cruise" and I didn't say "cruiseship".
> I think my chances may have run out on that one.
>
> Wonderful photos!

I'd sailed halfway round the world on one before I was 2 years old. In
fact, I learned to walk on one. Here's a picture of my nursery:
http://www.ozhoo.net.au/~strathsisters/strathnaver/

http://www.ozhoo.net.au/~strathsisters/strathnaver/

They used to take £10 poms out, and service families (like mine) back.
The route was quite interesting: Sidney, Melbourne, Fremantle,
Colombo, Bombay, Aden, Suez, Marseilles, Gibraltar, Portsmouth? I
expect I've missed some out.

The one we sailed on, the Strathnaver, was the first passenger ship
through the Suez Canal after the Suez crisis. That must have seemed
quite ironic to my parents because they'd served in Egypt during the
first crisis a few years earlier.

Bob